9 Oct 2016

How To Attempt BA English Poems Reference to the Context



As per BA English new paper patter, this is the first question of section A in 3rd year pattern.


The examiner will give you 5 references : 3 from poems and 2 from one Act plays.  Students will have to attempt any 3 out of given 5 references So, it means if students prepare the poetry well, they will be able to attempt Q.1 of English paper A. Here is given the right method of attempting this question.


For example you are asked to explain these lines with reference to the context.

What is this life if full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

Reference:
These lines have been taken from the poem, “Leisure” , composed by a famous poet William Davies.

Context:
In the poem , the poet says that this life is full of sorrows and miseries. The reason is,  that the modern man is passing a very busy life. He has no some spare time to enjoy the beauties of nature. From early in the morning till late at night, he is running after money. He is making pots of money. He is passing a materialistic life. He is gone much away from the objects of nature. As a result, he is passing a very dull and boring life which is full of sorrows and difficulties.

Explanation:
 In the given lines, the poet is questioning to himself as well as to the readers that if the life we are passing is full of sorrows and difficulties, it is not livable.  He is lamenting over the busy life of the man living in this modern age. The modern man is passing a materialistic life mush away from the beautiful objects of nature. The nature has the qualities to sooth us in the state of our pain and miseries. Materialism destroys the peace of heart and peace of mind. Actually, the poet is inviting the modern man to have some spare time to enjoy the beauties of nature.

Some famous lines over the poetry

No time to turn at Beauty s’ glance
And watch her feet how can they dance?
No time to wait toll her moth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began Leisure by William Davies

If I were lord of Tartary
I ‘d wear a robe of beads,
White and gold, and green they would be
And clustered thick as seeds Tartary by Walter De la Mare

Will lie on nights
In the bony arms
Of Reality and be comforted. New Year Resolutions by Elizabeth Sewell

It is very good that we have rebels
You may not find it very good to be one. The Rebel by D.J. Enright

The air broke into a mist with bells
The old walls rocked with the crowd and cries
Had I said, Good folk, mere noise repels
But give me your sun from yonder skies?
They had answered: And afterward, what else?
Patriot into Traitor by Robert Browning

The guards said, Kneel down,
They killed him with sword and spear,
Then the skull opened its moth:
‘Huntsman ‘ , how did you come here?
And the dead man answered
‘ Talking brought me here. The Huntsman by Edward lowbuy

The music in my heart I bore
Long after it was heard no more.             The Solitary reaper by William Wordsworth

And whistles in his sound. last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste and sans everything.
All the World ‘s A stage by William Shakespeare.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine;
and he knew that it was mine A Poison Tree by William Blake

Since then-‘tis Centuries-and yet
Feels shorter than the day,

I first surmised the Horses’ heads
Were towards Eternity
Because I Could not Stop For Death by Emily Dickinson.

Here love ends
Despair, ambition ends ;
All pleasures, all troubles
Although most sweet or bitter, Lights Out by Edward Thomas

Essence of winter sleep is on the night
The scent of apples: I am drowsing off
I cannot rub the strangeness from my sight.
After Apple picking by Robert Frost

…... eaten away,
By long erosion of the green tide
Of grass creeping perpetually nearer. The vanishing Village by R.S. Thomas

And when I feel, fair creature of an hour
That I shall never look upon thee more
Never have relish in the fairy power
Of unreflecting love. When I Have Fears by John Keats

A damsel with a dulcimer
In a vision once I saw:


Weave a circle round him thrice
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on the honey dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise. Kubla Khan by S.T. Coleridge

My feet are locked upon the rough bark.
It took the whole of creation
To produce my foot, my each feather;
Now I hold Creation in my foot. Hawk s’ Monologue by Ted Hughes

But O that I were young again
And held her in my arms! Politics by W.B. Yeats

For he seemed too me again like a king,
Like a king in exile, uncrowned in the underworld,
Now due to be crowned again. Snake by D.H. Lawrence

And roundabout were the wistful stars
With white faces like town children.          
 Images and Impressions (Autumn) by T.E. Hulme.

No comments:

Post a Comment